Thursday, April 8, 2010

Not Me!

It's been another interesting week. The contributions haven't been going all that great. They only do them if I remind them. That said, I haven't been doing my contributions either. Yes, I know I can't expect my kids to do what I will not.

This week at Family Meeting contributions went out. Sweetie Heart got assigned the living room. "I don't want the living room," she says. Funny all last week when it was my contribution and she had the kitchen she said she wanted the living room. Sweet Girl was assigned the floors. Now I realize it is hard for a 4 year old to sweep a floor. We did cut down a broom so it is more manageable for the kids to use. She has done it one day. She was complaining about it because I told her she could do it or sit on the stairs. She defied me with words, pouted and when that didn't work she asked me to help her. And we swept the floor together.

One thing Vicki pointed out was when kids are learning to do something they are afraid to do too much. They are afraid that if they do it too well and consistently then we will expect them to do it to the same standard all the time. She suggested a time line for it. Write down a time line for doing the contribution without reminding. Something like 3 times in 7 days. But we figure it out together and when that gets to be getting done then up it. So I'm going to work on that.

I have also heard, "That's not my contribution!" What am I supposed to say to that. They are are right. So I have been accepting that and moving on. Sometimes if I ask, "Would you be willing..." then they will, but when I ask that way I have to be and am willing for them to say no. It's just frustrating when we are trying to get ready to go some place and no one wants to help get things done so we can go.

No comments: