Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tip Tuesday

Here it is Tuesday again. As I was standing at my kitchen counter cutting vegetables for lunch, I was wondering what tip I was going to come up with today. Something that you would think was duh. I looked down and there was my tip.

I happen to be cutting up a cucumber at the time. Don't you just hate a bitter cucumber? I know I do. It always seemed like a bit of a chance whenever I would buy a cucumber. I've never really learned a test you can do to "pick a good one." You know the ones. The thumping of a watermelon. The smelling of the soft spot on a cantaloupe. Looking at the stems of grapes. The pulling of the leaves of a pineapple. Maybe if you stick a cucumber in your ear and you hear the ocean it's good. You should go try it before you read anymore!

Did it work? No? I wish I could have been there to see you do it!

Shortly after I was married we had some friends over. The husband, can yo believe it, gave me this tip.

Buy a cucumber. Whichever one looks good to you. Cut off the end of the cucumber and rub the cut off end in a circle over the other cut end. One of two things will happen. You will get a clear liquid come out, which means the cucumber is fine, peel, cut and eat. OR you will start to see a white foam come out. That is the bitter stuff I guess. Get as much foam out, you can rise and start again. You may get more foam or you may be done. That's it! So easy and you cut off the end anyway.


After you do that you may want to make some Tzatziki Sauce!

Tzatziki Sauce

1 cucumber, finely diced or grated (I remove the seeds)
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 cups thick Greek style yogurt
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
Parsley as desired
Salt & Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Grate cucumber and sprinkle with a little salt. Let cucumber sit in a sieve for about 30 minutes, then squeeze dry. Mix with remaining ingredients and chill before serving.

**Make sure you use the thick Greek yogurt in this. If you have another type, give it time to drain through cheesecloth in a sieve to thicken up.

Serve with Pita bread triangles, cut up veggies or roasted or grilled meat.

Or you could just go to the Greek Corner Restaurant in Boston and get it there. Or Anna's Greek Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. Or better yet, just go to Greece! I bet you get the best Tzatziki there!

Enjoy!!

No comments: