Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Okay, so I'm kind of coming up empty with my tips. Do you have any ideas? What are your tips? Email them to me and I'll do a post with your tip. I suppose you could always, just do a Tip Tuesday on your blog, too, though. But lets see what I can think of. If it's lame I apologize in advance.

Tip Tuesday
Garlic. I use garlic a lot in my cooking. But I hate peeling garlic. It always seems to stick to the clove, which is really annoying. When I was in the produce section about 2 years ago I ran across something that has saved me so much time and effort. I love it. It is a 2 pound jar of already minced garlic! It's not that expensive either. Now when I need garlic I just pull it out of the fridge and measure out what I need. Sweet Girl eats it by the spoonful that way.

Another tip for getting the paper off fresh garlic is thus. I was watching my sister-in law cook one day. She separated the clove and then put the flat side of her knife the clove. Then she hit the other side of the blade with her hand. It cracked the clove open and the paper came right off. That was kind of hard to describe, but I think you get the picture. The garlic is just going to get diced anyway, so having it break open doesn't really matter.

So there's my tip. Let me know if it was any good and send me yours.

2 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

i like to grate garlic instead of pressing it or trying to mince it with a knife. you can buy a garlic grater or just use any fine-toothed grater. i like the already minced stuff too but never seem to use it up fast enough before it becomes not so fresh.

Kelly said...

I've also heard that if you pull put the little stemmy thing once you break it open, the garlic has no more power to cause you bad breath.