Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tip Tuesday

So I know it's late but I am doing my Tip Tuesday. Since it is still Tuesday I think I'm in the clear.

Tip Tuesday
So for today s tip it's apples. I know I promised to do another post on drying and folding clothes, but that will have to wait because it's apple picking season here in New England. There is nothing like fresh apples picked with your own hands and costing only 50 cents (did you know there isn't a cents sign on the keyboard?) a pound! Now that's umm, umm good.

I cannot actually take credit for this tip. I was in a meeting at the school when another mother pulled out some sliced apples from her bag. I sniffed and smelled cinnamon. I asked her about it. She said she read somewhere that if you put cinnamon on the sliced apples then the kids don't notice that they are turning brown. Genius, I told her. She asked if I put lemon juice on mine, nope my kids just deal with the brown. I take the, "if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it" approach, but don't ask for something different. The school nurse seemed pretty impressed that a parent would do that. It does teach a valuable lesson. You can't always get what you want. Life comes with some browning but in the end it's not all bad and maybe you won't even notice. That said, I think it is a great idea to put cinnamon on apples. I put cinnamon on apple sauce all the time, why didn't I think of that? So now when I slice apples I offer the cinnamon and the girls usually say yes. I can even cut up several, out the cinnamon on them and keep them in the refrigerator for when we need a fast snack.

So how about them apples? ...I slay myself...

No comments: