Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What's For Dinner?

What did you have for dinner tonight? For our extremely healthy dinner tonight we had:

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with butter ( I had cream cheese on mine)
Sliced Apple & Peaches
Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Rice Cheese for Sweet Girl because of a dairy allergy)
Popcorn with salt and Brewers Yeast (before you gag, you really should try this! It's really good!)
And Water

Now I know I'm really going crazy in the head. For breakfast we had eggs and lunch we had cold cereal. Sometimes it's all I can do to make anything to eat. Not sure why we still need to eat. We'd save so much time it we could just stop cooking and just eat Soylent Green. Well, maybe not.

I know you'll (sorry, I had a southern roommate college) want to know how my party went. It went fantastic! All but 2 were able to make it. I had tons of food and I had good conversation with the soon to be college freshman. There was lots of laughing and horsing around. And I have to say, I haven't been around too many boys that can consume that much food. Whoa, Webby wouldn't have even been able to keep up. I wanted to tell them to slow down, that no one was going to take their food away. The boys sat in the kitchen, near the food, so as to be able to have seconds and thirds without having to move much.

I know you want to know what I fed them.
Greek Orzo Salad
Adobo Honey Ancho Marinaded Chicken
Homemade Pesto Pizza with Artichoke Hearts, Tomato, Black Olives & Parmesan Cheese
Homemade French Bread
Assorted Veggies
Lemon Bars
Cheese Cake
Apple Crisp
Gingersnaps

I think that covers it. The boys actually said that they were full. And if you talk to their parents and even to them, they are never full. So, mission accomplished. It really was fun. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to do it for them.

I must say that the easiest way for me to serve others is to feed them. Not to gloat, actually I am humbled that I have been given the gift to be able to cook. It really isn't that big of a deal to me. It seems to me that anyone could do it, but I've talked to far too many people who say they can't cook. So really it is a talent given from God and for that I am grateful.

So what did you have for dinner? Or what is the strangest thing you ever served for dinner? I had a roommate back in college who ate soup for breakfast in the winter.

2 comments:

Maren said...

I knew a family in California who had an annual "ice cream for dinner" night. We got ourselves invited to one, bringing a tub to add to the other flavors. I've always wanted to start that tradition, but never really had the guts. We frequently have breakfast for dinner.

Kelly said...

One of our favorites is New Years' Eve. It's also our house's birthday ( the day we moved in). So, we have finger foods/party foods for dinner. You know, chips & salsa, pigs in a blanket, etc.
On another note, we're being overrun by zucchini again this year. We tried zucchini pizza last week. It was really good, but a lot of ricotta and mozzerella- if your dairy girl can handle it, I can email you the recipe.