Friday, May 14, 2010

Preview to Summer

Vicki recently wrote a post about summer vacation. Summer can go one of two ways. It can looked forward to and be tons of fun or it can painful and dreaded. I usually go into summer hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

But I love this about making a plan for the summer. Have everyone write down their expectations for the summer. Then you sit down together and actually make a plan. A Road Map for the summer! It's genius really. And yet so simple. I thought to myself, "Well, duh"! So we're going to do this. I am so excited!

I also realize it's about attitude. Like how my attitude made for stressful vacation, when everything else was going so well. My attitude for the summer will effect how it will go.

I feel like yesterday was a preview to summer. Sweet Girl came down with a fever yesterday afternoon. She slept most of the day. Webby had a meeting in the evening so he wasn't going to be home until late. Sweetie Heart met with her mentor after school. There was no school the next day. Hmm, it can go whatever way I want it to. So we had dinner early, honestly evening almost always goes better when we eat dinner before 5pm. Yes, I know it's crazy...but it's true.

After we cleaned up I put Squeak to bed, cleaned up the kitchen, and had the girls brush teeth. Sweet Girl was ready to get back in bed, so I put her there. Sweetie Heart asked if I would play with her outside. Yes! Everything was done that needed done right then so out we went.

She made up a game where we threw a ball in the air and tried to get it to bounce off the roof of our 2 story garage/ barn thing. Kind of like basket ball without the bouncing since we were in the grass. We each tried to keep the ball from each other. There was a bit of wrestling, a bit of tickling and lots of laughing! We had been out for a little bit when I noticed Sweet Girl at the door. She heard us outside laughing. She came down to investigate. She watched us for a little bit then announced that her head and belly were feeling better and she was going to get her shoes. Really I had to laugh. She didn't want to be left out.

Sweet Girl couldn't find her shoes, but I told her it was fine for her to be out in the grass in her feetie jammies. She wasn't really up to running around so we took a break and sat down and threw the ball back a forth. We had so much fun running around and playing. Lots of laughing!! We need so much more of that!

We came in around 7:20pm. Bedtime is usually 7pm, so this was a treat. I put Sweet Girl back to bed. Sweet Girl asked if I would read a little to her. I said yes. She was surprised! She said, "I didn't really expect that you would say yes!" So we read until almost 8pm. As I was tucking her in to bed. She said, "I had so much fun playing and wrestling with you tonight." I did, too!

This is what I want summer to look like. Fun! Laid back! Lots of laughter! I also want to have everyone working together so I am not required to do all the work. If we are able to work together we are going to have a blast this summer!! I can't wait!!

No comments: