Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tip Tuesday

So here it is. Better late than never...right?!

Last week a touched a little on FlyLady. Now if you know anything about FlyLady you will know she is a bit intense. The whole "FLYing" thing can get a bit overwhelming. Trust me, I know. Now if you a bit on the organized side, you will probably easily slip into the FlyLady thing. Don't get me wrong, I love her! She teaches and encourages you to be better, to do better and to jump in where we are. One of my favorite quotes from her is, "You are not behind! I don't want you to try to catch up; I just want you to jump in where we are." She has great ideas to get yourself and your home in order. Really...go check her out!

If your like me, though, it can get to feel like too much. I get overwhelmed because I want to be able to do everything perfectly right now! Patience in not a virtue I have naturally. But I'm working on it.

Last year I was reading a blog and was given a 30 Day Challenge. It really scaled down what I felt I needed to do and gives me more of a feeling of control. Here is an example of one day in the life of The Challenge.

30 Day Challenge

Monday
personal challenge number: Choose how many things you want to pick up per room.
rooms completed: How many rooms do you have?
today's extra focus goal accomplished? Pick your "hot spot" (the bad clutter area)
focus area for tomorrow: Look around and make your pick.

I slide my paper into a plastic page protector so I can write on it with a dry erase marker.

My personal challenge number is 6. So I need to pick up 6 items per room per day. Yes, I am an over achiever!

For the rooms completed I put down a _ of 6 rooms (because I have 6 rooms in my house.) Then I write how many rooms I get done each day.

The extra focus goal accomplishment is a simple yes or no. I either do the whole project, if it's not too big (less than an hour) or set my goal number higher...like 20 items to pick up and put away. Did I mention the putting away part? Yes, you have to do that too.

At the end of the day I pick my focus area for the next day.

My 30 Day Challenge is for Monday through Friday only. I take the weekends off. I've worked hard all week picking up my 30 things. I'm exhausted! Actually, you'll be surprised at how much you can get done when the goal is just 6 things per room. It make a huge difference in your home. So give it a try.

Are you up for the challenge?


1 comment:

Sarah said...

So, patience is not a natural trait? I might be inclined to offer examples of difference, but there is truth in your statement anyway. And, to back up your position, some real genius types at Yale did a research project and found: self control is not natural to humans, we develop self control to enable us to live as communities...(even families). Wow, what would we do without those studies? Now i understand all that stuff the Bible has said for so long about giving up our own will and receiving a better one...Or are they just suggesting that since it's not our nature to control ourselves we just shouldn't bother? Well, i suppose i'll go back to reading the scriptures now, there's surely something in Nehemiah 9 that i can better apply about mercy. -Webbie