Monday, March 16, 2009

Nursery Rhymes

Sweet Girl is too funny! She has a great sense of humor. But sometimes her funniness just comes from being a kid who misunderstands what is being said. Here are a couple of the funny ones. Both of these were overheard while she was playing and singing.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly. I don't know why she swallowed a fly. I hope she dies!"

"London Bridge is falling down.... Take the kids and lock them out, lock them out, lock them out. Take the kids and lock them in. My fair lady!"

Really this does not reflect her reality. It is too funny to listen to her sing. She has a lovely voice and can memorize words and tunes pretty quickly. But I love the mix ups as well.


And how about this one.

I took the kids up to the bigger city to get Sweetie Heart puddle jumpers and sandals. Webby only had to work for a couple of hours so we dropped him off at work to run our errands. I planned to take the girls to Ben & Jerry's as a surprise. So I turned onto the street. She saw the sign and read it, of course.

SH: Ben & Jerry's! Mom can we have ice cream?
Me: Yes
SH: Can we please have ice cream?
me: Yes
::I pull into a parking spot across from the shop::
SH: What are you doing?
Me: Parking so we can get ice cream
SH: REALLY!
Me: I told you we could get ice cream. Didn't you believe me?
SH: I think if it had been someone else I would have believed them. But because you're my mom I didn't.
Me: So because I'm your mom you didn't believe me??
SH: Well, sometimes you don't tell the truth. You say yes when you really mean no.

Take that! I guess I need to joke around a bit less. In my defense, I'm not malicious about it. I never say yes to something that she really wants when I really mean no. I might say no when I mean yes, or tease about giving her something I know she doesn't like. But I'm never mean about it.

So there you have it. A small piece of our life!

3 comments:

Liz McCoy said...

oh those are great!!!

Anonymous said...

very cute! delia changes the words to songs and puts colton in them! she gets that from me. she gets her creative nicknaming from cody. i can't even spell the names they come up with colton monk-a-mis; delia boo-da-kittens!

Buckeye Bergs said...

congrats on the pregnancy!